Sunday, June 29, 2008

Our Primary Presidency


When presidencies in the Church function effectively, we see the fruition of the Lord’s counsel to “organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing” (D&C 88:119).

It is so humbling being the Primary President and knowing that so much is ultimately upon your shoulders. Thankfully I have 2 amazing counselors and 1 fantastic secretary. This week I have been feeling immense gratitude for the fact that I don't have to do it all on my own. Some days the weight seems so heavy on my shoulders, but I know that our presidency is right there along with me to share the load. I came across a great article The Principle of Presidency by Elder Joe J. Christensen. Here are some of the excerpts:


There must be a special significance about the concept of presidency, the idea of an administrator with two counselors and the number three. In the Godhead there are three personages. There are three in the First Presidency, the Area Presidency, the stake presidency, the bishopric, the leadership of the priesthood quorums, and the presidencies of the auxiliaries. There is something consistent and compelling about the idea that an executive in whatever organization in the Church has two counselors. There seems to be an underlying principle of presidency.

In a training session…I have invited someone to come to the stand and construct a one-legged stool. I have a little round wooden top with a hole partially bored in the center into which a little leg can be inserted. The individual easily inserts the leg into the central hole, and in seconds a one-legged stool is ready to demonstrate. As I balance it on the side of the pulpit where it can be seen, I ask the audience to comment about the nature of the design. Immediately they mention that the structure is unstable. The slightest touch makes it unbalanced, and it falls over.
Then I ask the individual to remove the one leg and with the two others make a three-legged stool by inserting the legs in three holes located around the outside edge of the top. Quickly a three-legged stool is ready for demonstration. Its structure is solid. It can bear weight and does not readily topple to one side. With three legs there is steadiness, while with just one there is great instability.

I have even more to be grateful for- because in our presidency we have a "four legged stool" with our secretary sharing the load right along with us. I cannot express my love and gratitude in words. Thank you seems insufficient, but here goes- Thank you Laura, Cathy and Leslie. May your lives be blessed for the love and dedication that you put into your calling to serve in our Primary Presidency! I know that I, as well as the children, have been blessed by all of your efforts. You are truly remarkable women!

2 comments:

smart mama said...

hey is this to guilt me for leaving for three weeks??? LOL-- i love serving with you all-we do have a good time and we try hard! Lisette you are doing a fabulousjob--primary pres is such a huge load!

Cathy said...

I love that story and thanks for the treats! It is nice to know that the burden isn't carried by one person. Thanks for carrying some of my burdens this week. It helped me through the week.