Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A stolen moment


Wow what a busy week again! Xander had what turned into a 2 hour soccer game on Monday night. The hottest day of the week. Although I really can't complain because I would much rather sit out in the stinkin' hot than the freezin' cold! After that it was straight to McD's because there was NO WAY I was cooking!
Last night we had a late night again with a game for Alyssa. I am glad that things went so late because they were only in bed for a few minutes when I noticed the fireflies out front. So I quickly called for them to come downstairs and we sat outside for 10 minutes watching and whispering. This has become one of our traditions. The first night I see them they get to get out of bed so we all can marvel at the bright little bugs lighting up the night sky. It feels like a stolen moment! Maybe that is why I treasure it so much? Alyssa and Alexander should be in bed sleeping, but instead we are sitting out in the dark on a warm summer night enjoying each others company. Such a little thing brings great joy to my life and the kids. Each night I wait for them to appear. Each night more and more come until they it looks like the twinkling lights at Disneyland. And then they are just gone. I wonder where they go? Maybe they just have a short life span or is it that they have ventured off somewhere else to make someone elses life happier. I will choose to believe the latter even though I think the first is reality.
Amidst the scheduled chaos of our week we were able to have a stolen moment to help us stay grounded and remember once again it is the little things that mean the most!
1. stolen moments with my children
2. Fireflies
3. Mama robin yelling at me every time I go on the deck! What a good Mama she is!

4 comments:

smart mama said...

love and adore fireflies- i remember many happy moments catching them growing up- i am always sad for westerners who never see them!

Jamie said...

Thanks for the great thought! How nice to stop and watch the fireflies. Can you believe I've never seen one? How sad that I missed out.

Cathy said...

I love the fireflies.
We caught one on the Fourth of July once and put it in the car on the way home. The kids had a great time. It was like our own little neon bracelet, for free.

nanci said...

What a great post! We still sit and watch the fireflies and the bats at our house even though my youngest is a teenager.

Jamie, you'll just have to come back for a visit so you can see a firefly (and spend time with all of us!)!