I have to admit that yesterday afternoon was not one of my most stellar moments! We went to pick out flowers for Alyssa & Xander's teachers for their end of the year gifts. When we got back I put the flowers in the basement for safe keeping until school the next morning. Then I went back to the garage to close the garage door. As the door is descending and Alyssa's eye are getting LARGER and LARGER I knew something must be wrong! Then I heard the CRunCH and hit the garage door button right away. Unfortunately I was a bit too late and the garage door was stuck on my REAR HATCH! AHHHH! As I walk over to survey the damage I ask Alyssa why she just watched and didn't yell for me to open the door again? I say this calmly not mad whatsoever, at least not at her! She apologizes profusely. I tell her not to worry it is definitely NOT her fault, but next time she could help me out by telling me the hatch is open. I pull the cord to unlatch the garage door which is now nicely wedged onto the bottom of my hatch. Okay not too bad. Just a little scratch underneath and a little bend to the inside handle of the garage door. WheW! Maybe I can get through this without too much damage. I leave the garage door open and figure I'll leave it that way until Paul gets back from his trip later that night. Well...after talking with him on the phone (oh ya he isn't too impressed) we decide that after I pull the car out to just close the garage just to make sure it doesn't trap my car inside. Okay good idea. So about a half an hour before we have to leave for soccer I go down and attempt to back my car out and CrUnCH AGAIN! Another not so stellar moment! I forgot that when I released the garage door it prevented it from going all the way back up! SO now I have caught my luggage rack on the garage door and BENT the garage door a bit and pulled two of the spinny things off the track! Yes, spinny things is the technical term! At this point I am fuming at my stupidity! The kids run down to survey the damage and Alyssa to apologize again. I say not to worry and send them up stairs afraid of what I might say in my moment of fury! As I begin to access the situation I figure out that I need something to push the door all the way UP (ya, that thought would have been helpful earlier!) so that I can get the car out without damaging it anymore! I try various brooms, sticks etc... that I see around the garage all falling short of the needed height. I rest my head against the garage and say a quick prayer. Then I proceed to take a chunk out of my knee with the corners of above wedged items! Thump, thump, thump, kids back down the stairs for more accessing and commenting. They were especially alarmed after I screamed about hurting my knee. I send them back up, but Alyssa stays. "Mom you just gotta have FAITH." "I know Alyssa your right, but sometimes things just don't work out. But I will keep trying" Now I am thinking great my neighbors not home to help, I have snack for tonight's soccer game, I have the gift cards for the coaches and it is Alyssa's last game! No pressure really! I finally get the step ladder which is about a foot and a half too short and then I wedge a kids step stool long ways up. It stays long enough for me to get my hopes up and then pops out! So I wedge it again. Get in my car and POP out again, but thankfully before I am exiting the garage! By now the kids are down again. I have Alexander help my out by watching FROM THE LAWN, no closer letting me know if it pops out again. SLOWLY I back out...I tell you if I could have closed my eyes I would have, but I didn't want to ruin anything else! WOOHOO! I make it out. Take a look at the slightly bent garage door. Shut the garage and off to soccer we go! We even made it a few minutes early!
Thankfully Paul comes home, bangs the door around, puts the spinny things back in, hammers out the bend an there you go! It works just as good as before!
Today I was thinking about what Alyssa said and wondering if we let reality blind our faith. How often do I let the circumstance control my thinking rather than allow my faith and belief to dictate how things will work out? Yes, I said a prayer (amidst my anger and frustration) and yes I half heartedly knew that things would work out. But I truly believe that I let reality cloud my faith. It took my sweet seven year old to remind me that I just needed to let go and have faith! It was so simple for her! What a precious reminder from someone who truly does have Faith. She is such a great example to me!
Yes, Alyssa I do need to JUST HAVE FAITH!
Yes, Alyssa I do need to JUST HAVE FAITH!
4 comments:
WOW - this sounds just like something that could have happened at my house! I'm glad there was no severe damage and that no one was injured.
If all of us could always go through life with the faith of a child, these glitches in life would be much easier to deal with.
lol- so sorry after my own hatch disasters I can appreciate-- this must be bad rear hatch week!
I am sure I don't listen to my children as well as I could..(I could always listen to sweet little Alyssa though!)
Families are such a great thing to have to pull us through life events! The genius of the Lord!
Lisette, I'm so sorry about your not so stellar moments. I must say, I'm not really surprised you got to soccer early. Even on a bad day you're still more organized than most--to have snack, coaches gifts and kids ready on time--amazing!
Post a Comment