Friday, June 27, 2008

Perseverance




Tonight Alyssa & Alexander graduated from their blue-orange belts to their blue-green belts in karate. This will be their last three months in the beginner Karate kids class next step will be Karate kids advanced. The have been taking karate for a year and a half now.









The kids were a bit sad because this is the first time that Paul has not been able to attend their graduation, but we had a bonus because Grandma Sandy was able to make it in time on her way home from a day at the temple
.
Prior to the start of the ceremony Master McCoy had the kids literally jumping through hoops! They had fun trying not to touch the hula hoop while tucking and rolling on the way out. Glad I didn't have to do that! I am sure I would have been sore for days! Oh to be young...









It was interesting the statistics about kids and karate and those who actually receive their black belts. I believe he said that 90% of people drop out within the first 6 months and only about 10% actually go on to earn their black belts. This is due to lack of drive and perseverance. Alyssa and Alexander are among the 40% right now. At times, I am tempted to give up. I really tried to convince the kids to take a break for a bit. Hoping then we would just fade out, but A & A, especially Alexander, wanted no part of that! When I get to karate and see how well they do and how hard they try I then have a renewed commitment to help the kids achieve their goal. I do not want to be the lazy one who keeps them from moving forward and stepping up to the challenge! This month's theme was "When things get hard dig a little deeper! PERSEVERANCE!" As a parent it is my job to help them persevere in all areas of their life and to support them in attaining their goals!



1 comment:

Christy said...

I love the positive attitude of your karate experience! It really is hard to follow through sometimes. They look pretty tough to me so I'll work to stay on their good side. Built in body guards for you!