Tuesday, June 24, 2008

That's MY GUY!


Now it is my guy's turn for a page dedicated to his year in first grade.

Alexander:


  • He really made an effort to go by Xander. When people call him Alex I think WHO? It didn't help that his Kindergarten teacher told him that Xander was a nonsense word! He first got the nickname "Xa" because Alyssa couldn't say Alexander when she was little. That is still her special name for him. He calls her "Ah" as in Alyss"Ah." As parents we call him Xander and Alexander equally, but never Alex that just isn't him.

  • He made it to "21" miles in the mileage club. Towards the end of the year he had 15 miles and said that he wanted to challenge himself and make it to 20. He exceeded his goal by one mile. Way to GO! That is one thing about Xander when he sets his mind to it he does it!

  • He had his first experience with holding a girls hand other than his mom. His teacher told me about it when I came in to volunteer. Later I asked him how he felt about this? He said, "It made me feel uncomfortable!" Brianna is an older woman by one whole year and I know the instigator! Alexander is very cautious about his affection! When you are in the very inner circle he is very cuddly and loving, but that is basically Paul and I. Even his sister doesn't get hugs or kisses. And I really must tell you I was jealous! That is MY GUY! Thankfully the little infatuation was over (on his part) within a few days. She kept calling and wanting to go on Webkinz and he would want no part of it. Few! Dodged that bullet for a few more years!

  • On every single spelling test he got at least 100%. On Thursday afternoon I would be worried after the pretest, but he always came through! His teacher gave at least 3 bonus words each week and they were tough words sometimes- caterpillar, electricity, surprise. He usually got 15/12. Way to GO!

  • His favorite day was Wednesday because he had GYM! He would be mad if we had a delay, cancellation or field trip on that day and he had to miss it! It was his favorite special! With his new longer "do" he would come out of gym looking like Jack Jack from the incredibles! I had heard about this and one day I was in school after gym and got to experience the look first hand. After being hot and sweaty he would run his hands through his hair and make it feather out and up. Really I wish I had a picture of the Jack Jack do!

  • He learned how to stand up for himself more to a boy who was a bit of a bully. Xander is more serious in school (which is far from norm at home)! There was a boy who would tease him about his scar on his lower lip or say mean things and he took these things personally. I think it was more of just obnoxious joking rather than outright malice, but it hurt his feelings. It was tough sometimes because what Paul wanted him to say back was definitely NOT ALLOWED! Mind you, he didn't tell Alexander these things. In the end it all worked out fine.

  • He took a great liking to studying Outer space and turtles! At the moment we have a shortcut to turtles.com on our computer. He tends to be a bit obsessive sometimes. I wonder who he gets that from?

3 Things that I love about Alexander:


1. He is so loving. Others don't get to see much of this side, but his favorite part of the day is snuggling in bed with us in the morning.


2. He is a deep thinker! He goes beyond the surface and likes to question things. Not to be annoying, but because he really wants to learn.


3. Alexander is a dog lover! (He says when he gets older he wants to have 10 dogs, live in California and he isn't going to get married.) He takes such good care of Thurston! He scratches him, lets him out, gives him food and lets him sleep on his bed ticks and all!


4. Okay one more...He is loyal to his friends. He would never say anything unkind about his friends much less someone who is not his friend. That's MY GUY!


4 comments:

LL said...

what a fun idea...and what CUTE pictures of those cute kidz!
WELCOME SUMMER!!!

Tina said...

Hanging out with Xander was a lot of fun!! We miss you guys a lot!!!! I love the pics and the way you do your blog!!

Princess Julie said...

Your children is so adorable I loved hearing about their year. They are amazing! Can't wait to see you guys soon.

Christy said...

He will be the coolest kid to know in hight school!