
A few days ago Alyssa drew a picture of our family in Florida. She is in the quick scribble impressionistic phase of her artwork. (We are leaving in less than a week and the kids are really excited!) In the above picture it has her, Alexander and Paul in the pool with me on the lounge chair grabbing a book. I totally cracked up! Hey I resemble! Oops...I mean resent that! Then today when the kids are outside sliding down the water slide (that Christy so generously let us borrow) Paul was off (FINALLY) and we were both taking pictures. When looking over the pictures later on what do I see?
ME sitting on the lounge chair watching the kids and Paul throw water balls at each other. I had to ponder this for a bit. Do I just check out when Paul is around? Is it because it is usually me doing all the running around when he is traveling and I get a break? Am I not as fun? Am I just plain old lazy? I came to the conclusion that it is his special time with the kids and I get to sit back and really enjoy watching them play. Just because I can read and watch at the same time does NOT mean I am checking out! Just multi-tasking!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
3 comments:
You are completely allowed to revel in your work (the children you raised, fed, wiped, dressed taught..)
from a lounge chair distance. If it were me, I might add the sunglasses so that no one knows if you are asleep. Its great that the kids see their dad as someone who they can have fun with too. It says a lot about their happiness.
I was just noticing that I do that very thing. I find myself saying things like, "take this diaper over to your dad" as I just lay on the couch and read. Its funny though because when I get in there with the kids Carl often sits back and watches. I can't think of why we don't play with the kids together--it would be more fun that way.
I just have to say,"AMEN" to everything you said. Don't let anyone make you feel bad that you are taking a little and I mean a little time off.
Post a Comment