Sunday, May 25, 2008

Wow what a weekend!









What a great Saturday we had. I love those Saturdays when the kids play nicely and you can get so much done! Paul and I were able to re-stain the entire deck. It looks so nice and new! I can't wait to put my favorite green lounge chair on it and enjoy a few pages of a good book or a lunch in the sunshine!
We discovered in the corner underneath the deck a robin's nest with 3 beautiful blue eggs in it. I felt so bad that we had been on the deck for several hours and that she was probably watching in the woods waiting to get back to her soon to be babies! At least this year she put it in a smart place. A few years back it was in the fort of the kids swing set. Not the best place for her babies or the kids. They had to stay away for 2 weeks! But it was so fun to watch them hatch and develop into actual looking birds as opposed to scrawny aliens!
SO I was ever so happy later on when I was in the kitchen doing dishes and watching for her to come home and saw her hopping under the stairs to return to her eggs. I thought "WAY TO GO MAMA!" I am grateful for her devotion to her unborn babies. I was thinking earlier thank goodness I don't have to build a home for my children. I don't think my would be as precise and sturdy as hers. Once again WAY TO GO MAMA!
We were able to cap off the night with a hands only dinner at the fire pit. We invited our neighbors for dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, chips, and of COURSE S'MORES! We even had Jiffy pop popcorn that we did over the fire. It was a terrific and sticky ending to a great day! Mmmmm...
This afternoon we took the kids and went for a nice nature walk. The kids ride their bikes and we follow behind. It has kind of turned into a nice Sunday afternoon together tradition. The best things is that we still have Monday to go and we are so looking forward to going over to friends for a barbeque. Wow what a weekend! Hopefully the planets will continue to align and it will be a full sweep!

2 comments:

Jared said...

I love finding nests, we once had a nest on the Christmas wreath (that was left up too long). So I of course had to wait for them to hatch to take down the wreath, but it was worth it to watch the process. Very dedicated little creatures!

Jamie said...

Yeah, building a house would make the mothering job a little more complicated.
Sounds like the perfect weekend. Its always nice when the weather cooperates.