Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Behind the scenes


This morning we awoke to yet another ice storm and cancelled day of school. Many things were different about this storm the first being the fact that it was no where near as severe as the one we had last month and the other was that we had power. Well....we had power until 10 am when the kids heard a loud bang outside and the transformer (I think) blew. So after chatting with my neighbor whose power was out also (thank goodness for cell phones) we decided to wait a few hours before hauling the generators out. Paul is out of town in Las Vegas for the entire week and I didn't want to get it all going but I would if I had to.

Paul called around 12:30 and reported that the power should be on around 1:15. The trucks showed up after 1 and @ 1:20 our power was RESTORED!

Today my gratitude is centered around people who help in my life who I don't even know! I remember after the big storm whenever we would see a power truck and men working we would cheer and give them a big "Thumbs up!" If they were close enough I would even roll down my window and say thank you! I am so grateful for the many, many people in my life who work so hard to make the things all around me run efficiently and when they don't they fix it quickly. Which is what National Grid did today. I love their logo- the power of action which can be turned around- due to their action I have power!

I remember one year while subbing for several months in 4th grade I did a lesson about people in our community and how we are all interconnected. We used yarn and passed the skein back and forth and at the end we were all woven together in a big web. Then to illustrate what happens when one person does not do their job I cut one of the lines and it all got tangled and started to collapse.

I guess I just take for granted the many behind the scenes people in my life who make it so much easier. Three cheers for National Grid! They are number one on my list today! I'm going to give them a call and say THANK YOU!
I called and spoke with a customer service rep and she said that's awesome and that she will get the message out to the men who provided the service. A little gratitude passed along and I feel so happy inside. What a great lesson learned today about speaking up and following through. It feels really good!

1 comment:

Swimmingmom said...

I'm glad you have your power back so soon and that you didn't have to set up the generator all by yourself! I'd imagine they electic company would love your phone call. They probably don't receive that type of call very often.