
Yesterday I was THANKFUL for doctors! Xander came home from a birthday party Saturday night with a 103.9 fever, horrible sore throat and then was up barfing most of the night. I took him to the doctor Sunday morning and he was diagnosed with strep.
A few hours later he broke out in hives on one of his arms. Got to the doctor again... and he sent us off to the ER because he was concerned that he had a possible bacterial infection. We spent 5 hours in the ER. It took the nurses 4 tries to get his IV in. He was dehydrated (due to throwing up all night and day), cold and nervous= poor veins. He was such a trooper! He didn't move or complain when it hurt. He just took it like my little man! They drew his blood, gave him fluids and another antibiotic IV. He is already allergic to Penicillin, then Zithromax from his hives earlier this afternoon. So they gave him another antibiotic which they said had a very slim chance of him being allergic to. WELL he broke out in hives all over his arms within 15 minutes. Cross that one off the list too! They stopped the antibiotic gave him steroids and Benadryl. By this time his arms were covered with hives!!

After a few more hours they allowed him to go home. By the time we got home his legs were covered front and back! So I called the ER spoke with the kind doctor who told me to give him another dose of Benadryl and that the hives will come and go.
The final diagnosis was acute strep thankfully not meningitis. Today he was hive free, but he had red splotches on his chin and face. It looked like he had a sunburn so off to the doctor once again.... At least this was his regular doctor which he had to see for a follow up. He was a bit freaked out that she would send him back to the ER and calmed down once she said she wouldn't do that to him. Thankfully this is just part of the antibiotics that we was allergic to working their way OUT of his system. GOOD RIDDANCE I say!
He is feeling SO much better today! I was so grateful yesterday for all 4 of the doctors who helped Xander and the 3 kind nurses. It is humbling to trust someone with one of the greatest gifts I have ever received, Alexander, and feel certain that they will help to make him well again.
Where would we be without doctors and antibiotics? That is a scary, scary question! One I am grateful that I don't have to worry about. There have been so many times that doctors have helped me in my life- 10 surgeries, 2 in-vitro babies, pregnancy with all of my complications, strep, sinus infections, collapsed lung etc.... I am literally HERE today because of their knowledge, diligence, drive, compassion and desire to HELP OTHERS. I know that they have spent countless hours away from their families so that they can help me, a stranger for the most part, make me or my family better and for this I will be eternally grateful!

4 comments:
oh, Poor Alexander!! that looks aweful!! glad it is over...Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
Holy smokes! Now I know why you weren't at church on Sunday! Glad he is doing better!!
WOW~I have NEVER seen anything like that!
Poor guy.
Glad things are improving!
Poor guy! Yeah, good thing for doctors and Emergency rooms. I'm glad things turned out well.
Post a Comment