Friday, January 8, 2010

My word for 2010

I have this great Friend Laura who writes this wonderful blog- Lewis Family Letters. She makes me laugh, cry, think, inspires and challenges me. A few posts back she asks what is your one word for 2010. I especially liked this because I am never one to make new year's resolutions. So as I pondered what word best describes what I want to accomplish, do or be for 2010 a few came to mind.
Last year I vowed to "embrace" winter since the winter before I felt borderline depressed. So each time I thought in my head, "I hate winter" I would replace it with "I am embracing winter." It helped me redirect my thoughts into a somewhat positive manner. That and adding more vitamin D to my diet really helped me remain positive in the long dreary months. So embrace was out of the picture since I already did it and it was also Laura's word for the year. I knew she wouldn't mind if I used the same word, but I knew this wasn't my word for the year.
I also thought about the word "perspective" as in my own and that of others. Sometimes we get so absorbed in our own way of thinking we fail to see the other's perspective. But, no this wasn't the word for me either. I continued to really think hard about this all night and into the following day.
Today as I was making lunch and thinking about how much I did not want to go to the grocery store the word came into my mind- REPLENISH! That is it!

re·plen·ish
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈple-nish\
Function: verb
transitive verb1 a : to fill with persons or animals : stock b archaic : to supply fully : perfect c : to fill with inspiration or power : nourish
2 a : to fill or build up again ed his glass> b : to make good : replaceintransitive verb: to become full : fill up again I had already started to do this in my life. This week I got back to my regular exercise routine of 5x per week rather than a few times as of lately. I also started reading my scriptures daily which I am sad to say had slipped. These things need to be replenished in my life. Yesterday a friend and I went out to eat delicious Indian food. Over lunch she was telling me how badly she wanted to go to a reunion with her friends from school and she was unsure whether her husband would agree. She has a mother who lives with them who has dementia, an exchange student, 2 beautiful daughters, a niece living with her and life in general. We discussed the fact that when we don't take time for ourselves, to become full or fill up again, there is nothing left to give others. So today I made the decision to replenish myself even further by filling up with inspiration. I chose not to go to the grocery store and instead to sit on the couch with a blanket and Lola curled on my toes as I read the Ensign almost cover to cover (I skipped a few articles here and there). Then I read the Friend to help me magnify my calling as primary president and mother. I finished it off with reading a chapter from the scriptures. It felt so good to build up again the things that have been missing in my life. So my word for 2010 is replenish. How about yours?

3 comments:

LL said...

BEAUTIFUL!
Great word. I was really like perspective when you said it. That's a good one too!!!
(sorry my blog makes you cry ;-)
You REPLENISH my well each time we chat. Thank you!

Christy said...

Such a love-e-ly post Lisette! I will be using that word from now on with a new ring and an inside boost on what it really means. Women do take little time for ourseves, but are in charge of and influence so much, that to not be at our best must, I believe, have an impact. Great thoughts my friend!

Swimmingmom said...

Wonderful post Lisette and I'm still trying to find my word. Thanks for inspiring me.