Saturday, October 25, 2008

The look of determination

Tonight the kids and Paul carved pumpkins. I love how the pictures capture the look of determination on their faces- determined to get all the goop out of the pumpkin, to carve the pumpkin with small little knives and most of all determined to create a jack-o-lantern that best represents themselves. See if you can guess whose is whose?

A tidbit o' knowledge on the jack-o-lanterns origin:
The story of the Jack 0' lantern comes from Irish folklore. Jack was a crafty farmer who tricked the Devil into climbing a tall tree. When the Devil reached the highest branch, Jack carved a large cross in the trunk, making it impossible for the Devil to climb down. In exchange for help getting out of the tree, the Devil promised never to tempt Jack with evil again. When Jack died, he was turned away from Heaven for his sins and turned away from Hell because of his trickery. Condemned to wander the Earth without rest, Jack carved out one of his turnips, took an ember from the devil, and used it for a lantern to light his way. He became known as
"Jack of the Lantern."

6 comments:

LL said...

SO fun, they turned out GREAT!
I just wish P would have sported the wig while carving..... :)
where's mom's pumpkin?

Cathy said...

Amazing. Those must have taken a lot of time and patience. Hey, LL's right. Which ones did Mom clean out and carve?

Trueman twins said...

I helped to clean out the goop, washed the pumpkin seeds and made dinner. It was nice to have a break from the carving. It really isn't my favorite thing to do. I do like the end result though epecially if someone else did it!

Happy Lizards said...

Kirby can't believe how big the pumpkins are. And we both can't believe how big your kids are! They are so cute!

Jamie said...

You know what's funny. I forgot about pumpkin carving until I read this post. I always see the pumpkins come out in September and think, "if I buy it now it will be rotten by Halloween." So we put it off and put it off until its too late. I guess I have a few days left...

Christy said...

I am totally impressed! THose look awesome, and very scary!!!
Bring them on over..we may not have anything close to that cool...