Thursday, October 23, 2008

20 Mule team what???

Today I had the opportunity to find out what 20 Mule Team Borax is. I had heard of Borax before but never used it. The cause for this opportunity?? Well believe me clothes, the dryer and a MAGENTA CRAYON do not mix well! I was happily making progress on my painting when I went to check the clothes in the dryer and lo and behold I found this magenta goop flowing over the side. "Hmmm I wonder what this is?" Then it dawned on me CRAYON! UGH! I threw away what was old and didn't matter anymore, but some of the clothes are relatively new or favorites. Thankfully I didn't wash Alyssa's brand new shirt from Justice that she got for her birthday!
Amazingly enough I have had a good attitude about this! Pretty uncommon for me! I was speaking with my neighbor (asking her if she had Borax) and was telling her that it was a good thing the kids weren't home because I would have probably been crabby and assigned blame. Then she asked,
"Who do you think is to blame?
The one who had the crayon in the pocket
or the one who didn't check the pockets?!"
GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!!!
I am forever forgetting to check the pockets. I have washed Paul's San Disk (digital picture thingy) more times than I can count. As a matter of fact I just brought him a freshly washed one on Monday!
So as I write I have the clothes in the washer again...with a mixture of
2 cap fuls detergent
3/4 cup Borax 20 Mule Team
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup shout

Oh by the way Tilex cleans off all of the smeared crayon on the dryer. Although it is not much fun sticking your head all the way into the dryer drum with Tilex fumes galore, but it does work wonders!

Here are the pictures of the clothes. Stay tuned for the results. Let's see if the trip to Walmart was worth it. Or if the 20 Mule Team Borax passes the test!
Happy 3 for me so far...
1. Filling my tank for $50 bucks!
2. candy bars
3. a good disposition

4 comments:

nanci said...

I had almost the same thing happen to me a while ago, only it was a turquoise something - never did find out where the color came from, and it was a load of WHITES! I used the liquid oxiclean in a spray bottle. Some things washed right out - others I had to use the oxiclean and a toothbrush. It was not fun! The oxiclean worked great on the inside of the dryer - much better smelling (maybe safer) than tilex.

Good luck!

LL said...

ohhhhh this raises my blood pressure. glad you're handling it better than I would.
good luck!

Tamlynn said...

Oh that's bad. I wish you luck with saving the clothes.

Tina said...

OMGosh!!!
I am feel for ya babe!!
Been there done that. I nevere ever remember to check pockets. I blame those that put the clothes in to be washed and not checking their pockets. But now if I took the clothes from their rooms than I unfortunately must take the blame. Either it SUCKS!!!