Friday, May 29, 2009

You're a good Mama!


Every year we watch Mama Robin gather materials to build her nest. The first year she wasn't quite as smart with her location- the fort area of the kids swing set- but the past few years has been under the eaves of our deck. For weeks we have been watching her out our kitchen window carrying things almost as big as her. I finally went under the deck to see her progress and found not 1 but 4 nests in various stages of completion.

I don't know if they were all from her or if she didn't like how one was not structurally sound or what?! The nest above almost reached the top and was not the one she used. She decided on the one in the middle and has lovingly laid 4 beautifully blue eggs. The color is so amazingly beautiful! Much more beautiful than the poor little pathetic looking babies that hatch from them.


We sure do get an earful when we go out onto the deck. She flies out from under and yells at us in bird language. It is probably a good thing the kids don't understand what she is saying- they are definitely NOT allowed to use those words!
The other morning Alyssa went out to check on something and saw Mama Robin by the swing set. Alyssa gave her a "thumbs up" for a job well done!
I haven't been able to check on the progress in the last few days due to this dreaded rain and yucky weather. I can't wait to see what is going on!

1. robin's egg blue
2. nature
3. watching the process

4 comments:

Marcy said...

That is so cool!!

LL said...

i LOVE the color of the eggs.
SO cool~

smart mama said...

beautiful eggs

Swimmingmom said...

Cute little mama bird! I also love the eggs- beautiful!