Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Improvise!



What do you do when the camp out part of the Father/Son camp out is cancelled? Improvise! Alexander had really been looking forward to the camp out this year since last year Paul was out of town. He was so excited to be spending time with dad and camping in a tent! So when the overnight portion was cancelled Alexander was almost in tears. I really think he would have lost it except for the fact that he was at karate and had to go out on the floor. So I called up Paul and asked him if he could set up the tent in the backyard and they all could sleep outside. Mind you I say "they" meaning Paul, Alexander and Alyssa. I would happily accept the task of sleeping inside with the dog since I don't sleep well outside.

So after the fun activities at church (launching rockets, paintball target practice, chips, chips and more chips and Alyssa and Mom's dinner and shopping date) we all met up in the backyard for a sleepover. My idea was to go outside and kiss everyone good night and then venture back inside for a restful nights sleep in my own bed. But to no avail! When I saw our whole family in the cozy tent for a fun nights adventure I caved. How could I resist those sweet smiling faces?


Even the dog got in on the action!

Boy was I wrong!! When everyone else is happily dreaming the night away I am awake due to every noise, wind, thought, teenagers letting off firecrackers in the next yard, first sprinkles then a DOWNPOUR! Finally at 3:45 I call it quits! But first I have to get Thurston out of the tent or else he will pant and drive everyone crazy after I leave. So here I am in the rain, yanking on the dog, trying not to be sick due to lack of sleep and finally I make it up to my bed and melt into my clean white sheets. Only an hour later do I hear thump, thump, thump up the stairs followed by a very tired husband who had to get the kids out of the tent in the pouring rain because he was afraid they would be flooded!

So the morale to this story is yes definitely improvise! But do it on a night where rain is not expected to dampen (literally) your plans! Would I do it again? You bet! It was worth the lack of sleep the next day to see their happy faces the night before. Maybe next time I'll try sleeping pills? Just kidding well sort of...


4 comments:

nanci said...

We have been known to pitch the tent INSIDE the house on those rainy (or snowy) nights. It's called "camping in".

The boy scout rule just states "sleep in a tent you pitched yourself", it doesn't signify where!

Jamie said...

Sounds like fun. Especially the posibility of being flooded out of the tent. lol

I love fathers and sons campouts. Its a great chance to have some great girl time.

We've also pitched tents inside the house-its a lot less work in the long run.

Christy said...

You are such a great mom to do that! I think I could handle a living room set up.....yes girls can be campers too.

Princess Julie said...

What a campout! I really enjoyed reading that story. The kids will never forget it.