Yesterday afternoon I was wondering what I was going to do with my 3 hours of free time while the kids went to a soccer clinic.
I got my answer when I dropped the kids off at a friends to carpool. They have a 5 year old german shepherd that they got from rescue and they've had for about a month now. Of course Alyssa wanted to pet it and asked if it was okay. My friend hesitated, but said it has been fine around children so far. SO Alyssa went over to let it sniff her hand. All went well so she raised her arm to pet it and that is when it BITE HER! She was so upset! She tore her arm away and came running over to me. At first it just looked like superficial wounds and then the blood started coming out of a puncture wound. Not much blood, thankfully. I was undecided as to whether to take her to the doctor or not. I didn't want her to think I was silly- probably just a stitch or two...
You can see the rest of the scratch and teeth marks above and around the wound
When I got her home I called Paul who was on his way home from the airport. He suggested to call the doc and see what they have to say. They wanted her seen. At 8 we arrived at the doctor’s office. The doctor said this was the 3rd dog bite of the night, but the other two had to have rabies shots. SO glad we didn't have to do those! She said Alyssa needed stitches and she couldn't do it, but maybe urgent care downstairs could. NO dice! Off to the ER. Oh joy- a Friday night in the ER this is gonna take a while.....
Here is the timeline
8:45 arrive at the ER 2nd in line not too bad, get checked in and then...
back to waiting room
9:15 get checked into triage
back to waiting room
10:15 yup, you guessed it STILL in waiting room
10:30 field trip to the ATM in the hospital with the nice triage guy so that we could get $ to pay the valet when we left.
11:30 HELLO is anyone every going to call Alyssa's name?
11:45 FINALLY going back to the ER- after 3 LONG hours in the waiting room
11:55 nurse comes in and wonders why it took so long for her to get back there? She should have been seen much earlier due to germs in the wound- applies numbing medication
12:00 doctor comes in and asks the same question and says "someone must have dropped the ball" up front she should of come right back due to possible infection.
12:30 arm is numb, cleans out the wound 8-10 times with a syringe, numbs it a bit more with a shot, does 1 loose stitch. They don't completely seal the wound because they don't want to trap all of the bad germs inside.
12:45 antibiotic given and an RX for one weeks worth
1:00 leave the hospital with a very tired and brave girl! She made it to 9 1/2 before she received her first STITCH.
1:30 got Lissy in bed finally!
I don't think I'll wonder anymore about what I'll do with my free time. I will just go with the flow!



2 comments:
OH MAN!!!!
that is a LONGGGGGGGG night.
Glad she's ok!
Looks like she handled things very well. What a trooper!
Happy Early Mother's Day!
Post a Comment