Friday, February 26, 2010

Positive Reinforcement

Enough already is the way Paul and I have been feeling just before the kids bedtime lately! As soon as it is time to go up and brush they have to
  • pet the dog,
  • hug the dog,
  • complain about how tired they are
  • and don't want to brush,
  • slowly take o- n- e s -t -a -i -r at a time
  • only to get upstairs and argue over who brushes first,
  • argue about just anything
  • jump on my bed
  • run around like spazzes
  • and become so wound up it is hard to calm them back down
It is painful and aggravating and we are fed up with the who thing! By the time we are back down stairs my blood pressure is much higher and I am SO glad the day is over. It just puts a bad vibe to the end of a usually good day.


My sister told me about how my brother in law brings up 2 quarters each night for the kids and if they do a good job they get to put the money into a jar. When the jar is full they get to go out to eat, the movies or something fun like that. I loved the idea!

We tweaked it a bit for Xander and Lissy. Each week they have the potential to earn $1.00 more than their allowance. They will earn 10 cents each night and if they do a good job EVERY night they get a 30 cent bonus. Since we started last night towards the end of the week I told them they could each earn a quarter. I tell ya it worked like a charm! It was such a pleasant wrap up to the evening- no frustration, no yelling, or threats just peace and harmony.

Some may call it bribery, but I choose to call it positive reinforcement for good behavior. While it lasts I will enjoy it. Each and every peaceful minute of it!

1. Paul making it safely home this morning
2. Friday
3. Juicy Lucy's for dinner tonight

1 comment:

Smilin' sunshine said...

I am all for that kind of "positive reinforcement"!