A little ice storm is what they said on the news. Well once again they WRONG! SNAP, CRACKLE, POP the power went out...the trees had started breaking and crashing outside earlier, but then the wind picked up and for hours on end we heard trees crashing all around us. It got so bad at one point that I asked if he thought I was silly if we went downstairs to sleep since there is a tree line about 40 feet from our bedroom. So we went downstairs with Alyssa in tow (since she always wakes up when the power goes out). I would love to tell you that I slept soundly from then on but the trees continued to break, snap and crack all night long along with the ice and wind pelting the house! It was like what I can only imagine living in a war zone.
Everything was beautifully covered and craned over with thick layers of ice the next morning.
We went out to view the damages. So many huge limbs broken and SNAPPED off in our yard and in our forest area. One area on the side of our driveway is completely open to our neighbors. The same area where we could never see through since it was so thick with trees. (Picture below)
Thankfully Paul was able to go to BJ's and get the very LAST generator!
By this time it was a whopping 57 degrees in our home and dropping. On Saturday the temps dropped into the teens so we were so grateful to have heat! Let me tell you this was the best 600 dollars we have ever spent! Then we were enjoying the heat, the microwave, flushing toilets, TV and wii. You know the necessities in life!
The bizarre thing is you go over one town and it is like nothing ever happened! They had to drive a bobcat up and down our road to get all the trees and limbs off. We went out the next night and I really was amazed to see all the damage. The devastation was really beyond what I had imagined! The view down our street.
We FINALLY got power back on Monday night and our phone and Internet (which I missed the most!) on Wednesday. Just in time for us to be slammed by a snowstorm today. We are expecting to get 8-12 inches. Oh well at this point I say Let it snow, let it snow...LET IT SNOW! As long as the power stays on...oh and my Internet!
8 comments:
wow, that really is crazy. Generator--I've got to put that on my list of necessities. So how did Oxford hold up? We didn't hear a thing from our tenants.
WOW!!! I'm so glad we're not there with a new little baby! Thanks for the pictures! Glad you have power again!
Great pictures! I'm glad you have your power back. It is so weird that we are 15 minutes away and had nothing but rain.
Great shots. How did you do after last nights storm??
I'm so glad that you guys are alright and you have power and internet! We were fortunate, we just got a little rain.
Wow, those pictures are incredible!!!! Even though it must have been freezing for a bit, those picture are gorgeous! I'm glad you had the generator, that really helps. How are you faring with all the snow now? Hope you are well.
I was shocked to really look at all the war zone pictures. Lots of storms to come this winter I think. It is great living in modern day to have options like generators! Poor poor early settlers!
Wow! You weren't kidding in your e-mail! I have never been in a storm quite like that and I can only imagine hearing those huge trees snap all night long! I am so glad that you were able to get a generator! Stay safe and have fun with the clean up - I'll be thinking of you in the dry, dry desert! lol
Post a Comment