Friday, February 7, 2014

Basketball season


It's been a loooooooong basketball season! 
2-3 games a week 2-3 practices...

Alyssa was so excited to make reserve on the basketball team. Her coach told her that if you work hard and prove yourself then you will get play time even if you're a reserve. So she decided to go for it. More time on the ball during practice would help to improve her skills right?! Well there were several practices where she watched for all of the one and one half very long hours! It was so frustrating for her to have to watch. She loves to be in on the action. Also the plays don't make as much sense when you are watching them executed as to when you are doing them. Practices improved and she was getting some play time. She got a few minutes of play time here and there usually at the very end of the game. Then our principal told coach that the reserves don't play. FINAL. 
So very frustrating! And very difficult to watch especially when we usually beat the other team by 40+ points. The starters had a great idea! The top 3 would sit out so that the playing field would be much more even and also so that the reserves could play. WOW! What a great group of girls! So a bit more play time was had, but her self confidence was a bit low and she was afraid to make mistakes. With less than 20 minutes total play time the entire season she was eager to show her stuff, but it's hard to get into a groove when you play for such a short amount of time.

I told my friends all I want for Alyssa is one basket.
 ONE. JUST ONE.

This week the opportunity to play came again because one of the starters was out sick. Coach told Alyssa that he was going to put her in and she would get a lot more play time. 
I was sitting in the stands and to my amazement see Alyssa come into the game in the latter half of the 2nd period and then again later in the game. WOO HOO she was finally getting a lot of play time and being able to prove herself! Alyssa has the ball she's looking around to see if she should pass and my friend Lori (daughter's also a reserve so we are totally in sync) yells SHOOT IT!!!!
She shoots it's IN!!!!
I stomp my feet on the benches punch my fist in the air and scream YES!!!!!!! I was so elated! I could feel my face flush with excitement and joy and pride!
I text Paul-

It took me several times to type it because I was so excited and trying to watch the game and text at the same time.  

Afterwards I was still on cloud nine! So happy for her and for the way the season has come to an end!
 I texted some of my friends and family-

"Okay ladies I have to share a proud mama moment with you- not only did Alyssa get to play ~8 minutes in the basketball game she SCORED A BASKET!!!!! It made my heart sooo happy! It's been such a tough season with her being reserve and never getting to really prove herself...until tonight. That's all I wanted to come out of this season and it happened!! I was so proud of her. Okay I'm done thanks for listening! And yes I'm still beaming! It's the little things, right?!"

No comments: