Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Poetry Projects

At the end of a long, the kids will say VERY LONG, poetry unit 
Alyssa and Xander had to create a poster to display their poetry

Xander's life poem-

Xander
Intelligent, Daring, Athletic, Happy
Brother of Alyssa
Son of Paul and Lisette
Lover of challenging soccer games, tasty hamburgers and loud rap music
Who feels happy with my friends, angry when proven wrong and sad when I fail
  Who has been to sunny California, the awe-inspiring
Ground Zero and the tropical Bahamas
Who needs my friends, inspirational rap music and tasteful tacos
Who fears failure, losing my friends to others, and disappointing my family with my actions
 Who gives effort to my work, time to sports, and thought to my words
Who would someday like to sky dive, fly an airplane, and travel to all the fifty states
Resident of Charlton Massachusetts
Trueman


Life Poem 
by Alyssa Trueman

When I was five years old I feared the dark.
I used to be afraid of the mischevious darkness,
That would sweep the last bit of light with its dark broom,
But now I don't mind the light in the dark dustpan.

I used to be afraid of the stretched finger, 
Set upon the light switch that would race so fast,
To finish a mock in my defeat,
As finally the switch turned off,
But now the darkness is suffering from my defeat,
And winning the race and sleeping with joy.

I used to be afraid of the hand that would grasp the door,
Giving me no hope,
In the face of the army that would defeat the light,
But now I have no fear of the dark,
I am the one fighting back.



Then they had to read one of the poems at a poetry reading for their class and another and ALL OF THE PARENTS. Xander didn't want me to go at first. Then he found out some of the other moms were coming so it was okay.  I don't know why he had a problem the only time he looked up was when he was finished reading-
can you see the look of relief on his face?

I didn't get a photo of Alyssa, but I did record her poem-



No comments: