The kids both had a writing assignment for ELA to write about who their hero is. They both chose our good friend and home teacher Mark Ashton.
I love how they realize what an amazing person Mark is and how he has been such an example to persevere despite adversity! He truly is the most Christlike person I know. His love, kindness and service throughout his battle with cancer has shown me how someone can truly emulate the Savior.
Just before his second surgery to reattach his esphogaus I sent Alyssa and Xander's essays to him. This is the email I got in response:
You guys just like to make me cry, don't you!!!! I truly wish I were half the man (hero) described in these wonderful essays, which I will treasure and cherish and try to live up to for the rest of my life. I love you all and thank you for your support, encouragement, and Christ-like compassion. I can't wait to get back to your home with some pastries or whatever you prefer (let me know). Love, blessings, health, and happiness to you all. YOU are in MY thoughts and prayers! -- Your friend and (I hope still) Home Teacher -- Mark
Alyssa's essay-
Alyssa Trueman March 9, 2014
Long composition Topic #6
Hero is composed of four simple letters. Those letters may be simplistic, but the word hero itself certainly is not. A hero is one who inspires you to do great things and be like them; those four letters describe a friend of mine and my family, Mark Ashton. Mark is a person I admire because he has the most positive attitude that I have ever seen from a man. Another reason why I admire Mark is because he is a role model to me, he is someone that I want to be more like. The name Mark is spelled with four letters and so is that significant word hero.
My friend Mark Ashton is an incredible person. Mark works for a newspaper company called the Stone Bridge Press. He takes pictures for articles and he even has his own section in the newspaper to write his articles. Mark loves colonial history, he used to work at Old Sturbridge Village. He also loves to read books. Sadly my grandfathers passed away when I was a little girl and I feel as if Mark is my grandfather. Mark is a nice guy who is always willing to help others who are in need. One time he went out of his way to make us a pie when he was not feeling well. He has such a positive attitude. Mark does not complain about anything at all. Mark is a very loving person, he loves everyone no one is seen as bad through his eyes. Sadly, last year, Mark Ashton was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. It was very sad news for my family and me.
I admire many people and Mark Ashton is one of those many people. One quality that I admire in Mark is that he has the most positive attitude that I have seen from a man. The impact in my life that he has given to me is great, he inspires be to be more positive in my life. I like to think of him as a “trooper,” he has not complained once through his battle with cancer. He has gone through multiple chemotherapy and radiation treatments, surgery and still has to go through more, yet he always has a glass is half full attitude. Mark has gone through this process with such a positive attitude and he has been such a great example to me. Mark Ashton is an inspiration to me and that is the first reason why I admire Mark.
The second reason why I admire Mark is because he is a role model, he is someone that I want to strive to become. Mark has had a big impact in my life because I want to strive to become like him because he is willing to serve and be kind to others. He is always is kind to others and makes you feel good about yourself. He is rarely seen without a smile on his face. My mom, Xander, and I went to see him in the hospital one night and he was severely cold and shaking frequently, and he still was smiling because he was so happy to see us. Mark is continually going out of his way to serve others. He is eager and willing to help others in need even though he is the one battling cancer. Most people have a tendency to be mean to others, but Mark is not mean to others he sees the great qualities that each person has to offer. That is why Mark Ashton is my hero.
Heroes are not people that do “cool” things, heroes are the people that do those “cool” things and that inspire us to become more like them and people that we admire. Mark Ashton is someone I want to become more like and that I admire because he has the most positive attitude that I have seen from a man and he is a great role model. Mark Ashton is a really great guy and I admire and that I want to be more like him. I do not just call Mark Ashton my hero- he is my hero.
Xander's essay
My Hero
By Xander Trueman block b
The definition of hero according to
the dictionary is “A person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for
courage, outstanding achievements or noble qualities.” We all know someone who is our own personal
hero, each having these “noble qualities.” My hero, some would consider an everyday
person, who does not stand out for remarkable acts in the news, but, to me, Mark
Ashton is an inspiration. He has inspired me in two main ways, his positive
attitude and his selflessness.
You are probably wondering who Mark Ashton is
so let me tell you a little about him. Mark is a family friend who used to come
over all the time. He works for the Stonebridge Press newspaper; he is a
photographer and writer. Mark would always bring us cookies or cake or
sometimes, if we were lucky, pastries! When he would come over he would always check
up on our family to make sure we were doing well. He would also ask my family
if we needed help with anything, every time he came over. We would always say
the same thing, “No we’re good.” Then, after a brief church message and a short
visit, we would say our good byes and he would go home. This all changed one
day. Over the summer we found out that he had esophageal cancer or throat
cancer. Mark could no longer drink or eat through his throat; he could only get
food through an I.V. which is when liquid is delivered to the veins through
plastic tubing. Since then Mark has had one surgery that was mostly successful.
The surgeons have gotten all the cancer out, but they were not able to connect
his esophagus back together. Right now Mark is building up his strength so he
can have one more surgery to reconnect his throat and get on with living a
normal life.
The first thing I admire about Mark
is his positive attitude. I admire this because he has not once given up faith
that everything will turn out all right. If I were him, I would be very sad and
just be constantly complaining. But not Mark, he has never complained about his
cancer; he has just kept pushing through. Another way I admire his positive
attitude is that he went through multiple chemotherapy and radiation treatments
and so many doctor’s visits with always having a good approach to all of this.
Mark did not complain once throughout all of the chemo treatment or any of the
doctor’s visits. The last way I admire his positive attitude is, after his
first surgery, he had to stay in the hospital for over a month and a half. Then
after that he had to stay in a rehabilitation center for another couple of
weeks. This is important to me because is usually do not have a good attitude
about a lot of things and Mark taught me how to have a good attitude. Mark has always had a positive attitude,
wherever life took him.
The second thing I admire about Mark
is his selflessness. I admire this because when he was first diagnosed with
cancer he would still come over and bring us treats even though he could not
enjoy them with us. He would still ask if we needed help with anything even
though we said no. He is always thinking about others and how he can help them.
Another time Mark showed his selflessness was also when he was first diagnosed
with cancer. At our church the youth are spilt up into two groups, Young Men,
which I am in, and Young Woman which Alyssa, my sister, is in. One night, the
Young Women asked Mark for his strawberry rhubarb pie recipe. Instead of giving
the recipe to the girls, Mark baked a pie for them even though he could not
taste it. The last way Mark showed his selflessness is when. We went to check
on him in the hospital we asked him if we could do anything for him for a
change. Mark did not ask anything for himself but instead he asked us to check
on his wife and make sure she was ok. This has taught me to always put others
first even if you are the one who needs help. Mark has gave me a good example
of how to live and how to put others first.
I wish I were more like Mark Ashton. Mark is
definitely my hero in so many ways. The best ways are his incredibly positive
attitude and his selflessness. Everyone has his or her own hero; mine is a
selfless, noble man who has shown me what courage it takes to endure despite
adversity. Whether your hero is Batman or your dad, your hero is special to you
because of the qualities they have and the examples that they give you!

1 comment:
Bro. Ashton is AWESOME! I miss him! I didn’t realize he had cancer, so sad!! Great essays for a great hero!
Post a Comment